Southwest Virginia Ballet is looking for a Ballet Master/Mistress starting in the 2023/2024 season.
BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT:
Southwest Virginia Ballet (SVB) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit arts organization that provides pre-professional classical ballet training and performance opportunities to dancers in Southwest Virginia. Led by Artistic Director Pedro Szalay, SVB has given performance opportunities to not only its company members, but also students from Roanoke City Public Schools through Dance Espanol.
The following are integral requirements of this role:
- Teach company classes and warm-ups
- Assist the Artistic Director with rehearsals for staging of new works, reworking existing repertoire, and record changes to choreography
- Scheduling and dissemination of casting as required
- Ensure dancers respect the Code of Conduct
- Maintain artistic records
- Take rehearsal and performance notes to be shared with dancers and appropriate stage management
- Supervise and assist with all auditions
- Maintain progress reports on each dancer
- Work in conjunction with Artistic Director and production staff
- Lead rehearsals in the event of Artistic Director absence
- Some public relations and outreach
- Past experience as a professional dancer with a wide range of repertoire
- Experience teaching all ages and skill levels, including pointe
- Experience with children of all ages
- Thorough knowledge of dance history, specifically ballet
- Experience in rehearsing classical, neo-classical and contemporary repertoire
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Basic computer skills
- English required
Those interested in applying will need to submit a resume and cover letter as well as teach a company class.